April 24, 2005

Shooting the caviar.

Hey, did you know Tonya returned to the world of active blogdom? I just noticed she blogged last Thursday's dinner, replete with a hilarious photo of me and Nina photographing the caviar-and-salmon-on-potato hors d'oeuvres. She includes a really lovely picture I took of her, and then a picture of me looking like I'm mercilessly assassinating the appetizers. Nina's looking cold-blooded, while I seem to be more at the heat-of-passion degree of criminal intent toward the fish eggs. (Strangely, someone in the comments over here, talking about a different photograph, thinks Nina and I look like we belong in a "Lethal Weapon" flick.)

4 comments:

Tonya said...

Very funny post! I laughed so hard that it brought tears to my eyes. When I posted the photo, I thought it offered a funny send up of our practice of visually documenting the food served at dinner parties. But, I like Ann's take on the photo more. And, she's right. She and Nina do look like mobsters making a hit on . . . the appetizer.

Ann Althouse said...

Kind of brings back memories of "Thelma and Louise." Except the enemy isn't men, it's food. I think there's also a bit of an "Absolutely Fabulous" vibe to this picture. With Nina as Edie and me as Patsy. Or is it the other way around? I think in Thelma and Louise terms, Nina's clearly claiming the Louise role.

I like your picture a lot, by the way, and it is funny for the reason you state. I usually choose very serene-looking pictures of the dinners to put on my blog, and they make you forget that if you took a step back there'd be all this hectic activity of people with cameras.

Ron said...

hmmm...Veronica Lake peek-a-boo eye...David Hemmings "Blow-Up" camera...and you look like you just said "No more wire hangers!!!"

yes, it does capture the naturalness of life...

the yard in the back looks very calming....

Ann Althouse said...

Funny, Ron. Really, I don't know why I look angry in that picture. It must just be my attitude about having my picture taken. I was perfectly happy that evening!