May 11, 2005

Howard Dean appreciates my tremendous support.

Here's some email I just received from Howard Dean:
Dear Ann,

On behalf of the Democratic National Committee, I want to express to you our great appreciation for the tremendous support you provided the Party and its candidates as a volunteer attorney for the Democratic Party in the 2004 election. Your work to ensure that the right to vote was protected was and continues to be vitally important.

We must continue our efforts at the state and local levels to ensure that the right to vote is fully protected, that citizens are not unlawfully purged from or kept off the voter rolls, that voters are not intimidated or harassed, and that all voters can count on a fair and transparent process on Election Day. With your help, the Democratic Party did a lot in 2004 and in past cycles to promote these goals, but much more needs to be done. As you know from your own first-hand experience on the ground, we have a long way to go before we can say that our election process is truly fair, open and respectful of the basic rights of all Americans....

I am asking you to join the DNC's new National Lawyers Council....

Sincerely yours,

Governor Howard Dean, M.D.
Chairman, Democratic National Committee

I wonder what part of my "tremendous support" for the Democratic Party Dean appreciated the most. The part where I voted for George W. Bush and called attention to that fact on a blog that was getting a quarter of a million hits a day at the time?

UPDATE: I edited down Dean's letter. It was taking up too much space and annoying me.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Gordon received and instant-blogged the same email.

11 comments:

DaveG said...

Maybe in 2008 Dr. Dean will be able to gather up enough lawyers to concentrate on the shenanigans in Wisconsin too, where the margin of victory was a tenth of what it was in Ohio, and evidence of voter fraud has actually been found.

MT said...

You voted for Bush? Are you nuts??(Just got here--had no idea what kind of blog I was reading.)

Ann Althouse said...

Murky: you'll just have to go back and read the old posts to answer your question. It's all on the record.

Steven A. Stehling said...

I hope Kerry does run again. I doubt he’d win the nomination. But until he drops out, SNL and other shows should have some ripe material to abuse.

Contributors said...

I don't think they worry too much about combing mailing lists in Madison. They assume an 87% hit rate.

I live in Los Angeles. You wouldn't believe what I get.

Did you know there's a "Bondage Party?" And not just one's you bring a hooded guest to. An actual political party. They think their little gizmos and trapezes and whatnot should be covered by health insurance. The actual devices, not just the injuries.

They argue that such activities have a positive medicinal effect on one's mental health.

Ann Althouse said...

Dirty Harry: I'm used to mail from both parties that assumes I support them, but this letter assumes I worked for them as a lawyer.

Contributors said...

I missed that. That is funny. And strange.

I should go back and read the one's I got from him. Maybe it was customized for me as well: "I want to express to you our great appreciation for the tremendous support you provided the Party and its candidates as a ne'er-do-well smart ass."

Matt said...

FWIW, while I'm a lawyer who voted for Kerry, I didn't get this e-mail. Also, I've never liked Dean, finding him to be a Democratic version of George W. Bush (who I don't like either)--a blank slate onto which supporters and consultant-types project things.

Joseph Angier said...

That Dr. Dean letter of yours can be a companion piece with the two personalized mailings I received last year from Bush-Cheney '04 ... one of which included a handsome plastic membership card embossed with my very own name, in recognition of all the good work I'd already done on thier campaign. (Of course, I wasn't running a blog that featured my political preferences.)

Jody said...

HAH! I knew it, you were a closet supporter of Dean in 04 weren't you! ;)

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.