June 3, 2005

That was hips.

I love the way this BBC article about how fat hips protect women from heart attacks is headlined "Curvier women 'will live longer'" and illustrated by an above-the-waist photo of Catherine Zeta-Jones. (Via Memeorandum.)

UPDATE: And what's with the euphemism "curvy"? This is an article about fat hips. Really, even "hips" is a euphemism. You know where that fat is when the measurement at hip level is 40+ inches. But this whole thing is pseudo-science-y! The chemistry cited in the article has to do with the fat tissue, so there shouldn't be any magic to the inches. Picture a very short, small-boned women. I'm sure she'd have the relevant fat tissue at well under 40 inches. And why would it be all or nothing? Get it up to 40 or there's no point at all in maintaining that fat ass!

ANOTHER UPDATE: And check out this picture Jeremy took in Poland. I think that poster says "Americans are fat."

7 comments:

Ron said...

hmmmm...what's that you're saying? I was too busy staring at CZJ's breasts...what, live longer?

Oh, good, good...see, isn't the BBC just full of...knowledge?

Rule Britannia!

Meade said...

We are each an experiment of one whose job it is to find out what works best for us, not Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Allison said...

And the protective benefit of curvy hips apparently is there only for hips 40 inches around, or a size 14. No way is CZJ anywhere near that. I am a little puzzled why they didn't use a photo of JLo (not that she's anywhere near a size 14, either, but at least she has a prominent bottom half).

Yogo said...

They should have shown any woman with very small breasts and huge uh, hips. Beyonce and JLo are great examples. The woman on Food Network, Rachel Ray, comes to mind as well.

Bruce Hayden said...

I don't think that those Polish women qualify here. The study talked about how having fat hips instead of in the middle was advantageous. Those women obviously had it both places.

I do worry about my daughter. She seems to have gotten her stomach from her mother, but her hips from my side. She is always overestimating pants size for me, as her step father is a runner (and thus in superb shape), but wears bigger pants.

That said, my guess here is that what they are really seeing is the difference between the three basic body types. In other words, I suspect that they are really comparing endomorphs to mesomorphs, and ignoring ectomorphs - many of whom apparently do have heart and blood pressure problems, despite rarely getting fat.

Bruce Hayden said...

Let me add to that that I am clearly an endomorph in a family of ectomorphs (they attribute my difficulty in losing weight to a lack of character). My ex and my daughter are also endomorphs. My guess is that my daughter's step father is a mesomorph, despite being a runner.

Ann Althouse said...

Bruce: Who buys pants for their dad??? Anyway, I think a lot of men buy small pants because they wear them below their bellies!