August 31, 2005

The Amsterdam Notebooks—Page 31.

It's Day 31 of this 35 day project. (The set thus far.) This is the page of the notebooks that has the least to do with Amsterdam. I was just watching TV, "Oprah," to be exact. Gail Sheehy was on, pushing her then-new book about menopause, "The Silent Passage." Looking back on this drawing, I notice it's lot like blogging. I copy out a (near) quote that happens to strike me and then make my own comment. Sheehy was strongly pushing hormone replacement therapy back then, and subsequent reports about that were very negative. I was struck by the fact that it was testosterone that women needed to preserve their sexual feelings.

Amsterdam Notebook

(Enlarge.)

2 comments:

Pete said...

I was struck by the same thing about your entire "Amsterdam Notebook" project: this is an example of an early form of blogging. (Except you used pen and ink in lieu of a digital camera.) Or would it be more accurate to say that blogging is an evolved state of notebooking? (Oooh, I said "evolved." Hope the use of that word doesn't hijack these comments.)

Ann Althouse said...

Ohiomike: I wrote this more than 10 years ago and it was the first I'd ever heard about testosterone in women. I thought it was interesting and played with the idea. Don't take it so hard!