August 4, 2005

Mighty Mouse, digital camera.

I ordered one of these.
Time is round. Space is curved. Why should your mouse be linear?

Yeah, I'm a sucker for all things Apple.

I ordered a new camera too, because I really need an SLR digital camera. I just can't see what I'm doing outdoors looking at an LED screen -- or indoors unless I put on reading glasses. A lot of the time I'm just pointing at things (rather than framing shots) and relying on taking a lot of pictures and then weeding through them. Here's a NYT article today that tries to simplify choosing a digital camera. It says nice things about the one I picked, the Nikon D50. Hope it's good.

And hope that Mighty Mouse is good... or saves the day... or whatever.

UPDATE: By chance, the subject of Lomography just came up chez Althouse. I'd never heard about it, but it seems like what my non-SLR digital camera has been making me do. Sort of like that Moliere quote: "I have been speaking prose without knowing it for more than forty years." But there's more to Lomography than just "You don't have to know beforehand what you've captured on film." Anyway, there's something to that and to carrying a little camera everywhere and catching odd things. But I also want to be able to look through the lens and frame shots. I'm especially interested in what's in the corners and on the edges. But here's the Flickr "lomo" group.

7 comments:

Rick Lee said...

FWIW... Walt Mossberg panned the Mighty Mouse in the WSJ yesterday. he's generally a fan of Apple design, but said this one just doesn't function as well as your ordinary Microsoft or Logitech two-button wheel mouse.

Ann Althouse said...

There's no way I could taint my Mac with a nonMac mouse. It's just not going to happen.

Sigivald said...

I recently got a used Minox camera for just that purpose (though, being used and 38 years old, the light meter doesn't work, which limits utility).

On the plus side, no batteries and it's incredibly sturdy, and no focus to worry about for anything over 6' away.

On the minus side, tiny, expensive film, guessing about exposure, and having to measure or guess for focus under 6' (though the 3-6' band is easy enough).

Pancho said...

Hope you like your Nikon. I have had a D100 for several years and just love it.

I recently found a whole box of old C41 prints I shot as a kid with some sort of Kodak Brownie box camera. Most are about 42 years old and they're a hoot. When when scanned, enlarged and cleaned up a bit they're actually quite artistic and I now have some pictoral relics of '60s San Francisco, L.A. and the Seattle's World Fair. Many have that "lomo" quality.

John Stansbury said...

for old time's sake, I brought out the original Apple mouse that came with the G5, and I spent a few minutes paying attention to how I mouse. what my unscientific testing provided was the realization that my current mouse (which has 16 buttons) has too many buttons.

I'm getting that thing just for the trackball feature, as I've wished for one of those things for Photoshop ever since I played with my college roommate's trackball. it makes it much easier to work up close.

and, there's always the Steve's RDF to comfort me and my pruchasing decisions.

Rick Lee said...

I guess I'm doing Lomography somewhat too. Using the little Pentax Optio is quite often just an exercise in "shoot 'n hope". Especially outdoors in daylight. The shot of the burned spiral notebook currently on my blog is such an example. I had NO IDEA what the heck I was getting. I just pointed it in the general direction of the spiral and shot a few exposures.

Of course, I could never do without having a good SLR in addition to the pocket camera... but there's an old saying "Any camera you have with you is better than the one that's at home". The Optio is in my cargo pants pocket at all times.

goesh said...

do some blk&white work with people - when you spot the right face in the right blend of light and shadow, simply ask permission to take their picture - your talent lies in the merger of light and shadow, the natural artistic extension of any lawyer, since you seem to be born for your profession