September 27, 2006

It was a cool and -- for me -- not hectic morning.

So that made it a good day to walk to work. (How fortunate I feel to have a job where I have to pause and think whether I want to write "walk to work" or "walk to school.") Along the way, the sky changed, so I got out my camera and took some shots at the peak of Observatory Drive:

University of Wisconsin

University of Wisconsin

Including this one of the observatory:

University of Wisconsin

It was still rather sunny on Bascom Mall when I arrived at my destination:

University of Wisconsin

There is the Beloved Donor Law School Building in the lower right quadrant of that last picture, and I was ensconced in the faculty library there, looking out on the mall when the storm hit. There were even doughnuts left over from this morning's Coffee and Doughnuts presentation. I'll have the glazed. And this coffee. And hours to go before I have to talk about Burnham v. Superior Court. Bliss!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's this green color on that rolling lawn. John Singer Sargent used to paint in his landscapes, and I swear he took it right out of the tube and mashed it right on the canvas. No one else has the nerve to do it that way. That's it there. Fall grass. Cobalt titanate, I think, or something.
It comes right out of that photo, like the paintings, and tells me things.

Maxine Weiss said...

"How fortunate I feel....."---Althouse

Uh-oh.

Can't you write about how you are living in abject misery?, so as to make your readers feel better about their own lives...

Peace, Maxine

chuck b. said...

meanwhile...I've been stressed out today. I'm the subject of a moral debate. I feel like I'm losing, although the numbers are still in my favor.

Greybeard said...

Oh no!
Doughnuts, and the dreaded, soon to be illegal trans-fat?

Ann Althouse said...

Maxine: All I'm doing is appreciating a cloudy day. Surely, you've got that.

sonicfrog said...

Fun clouds. Cumulus I think?

Hazy Dave said...

Is Bascom "Mall" the common terminology? I only recall hearing it called Bascom "Hill" during my residency. This may reflect my perspective - a peon looking up from Park Street rather than a Professor looking down on the chain-protected grass from an office on the perimeter - but this is the second time I wondered at the appellation.

Yes, Madison's pretty cool. And getting cooler, of course, this time of year...

Ann Althouse said...

Hazy Dave: The grassy expanse is the mall, and the Law School's address is 975 Bascom Mall. "Bascom Hill" generally refers to the top of the hill and -- by metonymy -- for the administration of the University.