March 18, 2007

Driving to Green Bay.

In case you're wondering why is Althouse getting such a late start this morning, I was up until 3 a.m. after driving, beginning at 8 p.m., to Green Bay and back. It's all about that snow storm back east. A flight got cancelled, the next flight -- after a motel stay -- was late, a connection was missed, and the only way to avoid a second night in an airport motel was to fly into Green Bay instead of Madison. You'd still arrive at 10:30, but you'd arrive 130 miles away. I was just relaxing into a cozy night of TV -- mellowing out as two "I Shouldn't Be Alive" guys were getting horrendously lost in the Amazon -- and then, minutes later, I'm fueling up the car for the 5 hour round trip to Green Bay.

Speaking of green, it was St. Patrick's Day, not a good time to be driving after midnight, especially on that 20 mile stretch of Route 26 where it's just 2-lane blacktop, and there's a long line of cars and school buses streaming toward you. I guess they were coming back from a sporting event in Madison. There are always a few drivers who think they can improve their situation by passing one car in front of them, and I'd like to thank all those idiots who trusted me to slow down to avoid a head-on collision. When I finally got into Madison at 1:30 a.m., the streets were flowing with young revellers. As I drove across State Street, a young woman yelled at me, "Don't drive drunk!" -- which was for her a big joke, because she assumed everyone out in a car right now was drunk. But I was driving-all-the-way-to-Green-Bay-and-back sober.

So we made it back safe and wide awake. And those guys got out of the Amazon, too, because the show is called "I Shouldn't Be Alive." I don't know how they did it, and I'd like to know. But I'm glad they did, and I'm glad to be back in Madison, Wisconsin on March 18, 2007.

9 comments:

John Stodder said...

I'd like to thank all those idiots who trusted me to slow down to avoid a head-on collision.

I'm always amazed at the faith some moronic drivers have that I care enough about their pathetic lives to slam on my brakes while they execute a pointless automotive maneuver like that. "Do I know you? Do you have a cure for cancer in your pocket? Did we sleep together in college? Funny, because it sure seems like you think I'd do anything to save your life."

Simon said...

John - I don't know about you, but when I slam on my brakes while they execute a pointless automotive maneuver like that, I'm not thinking about saving their lives. I couldn't care less whether they survive their little maneuver, as long as I do. ;)

Omaha1 said...

That long drive on St. Patrick's night -
So many drunks behind the wheel -
It must have been a scary plight!
We're glad you lived through that ordeal
Inquiring minds still want to know
Just who was picked up in Green Bay?
Hope he/she/it was worth it, though,
Perhaps we'll learn, some other day.

SippicanCottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Omaha1 said...

Your adventure was doubly inspirational. Glad you survived to tell the tale!

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

I'm sure glad y'all made it back safely.

Jennifer said...

When I was learning how to drive, my grandmother's advice was Don't worry, they all have breaks! Ooookay.

omatty said...

Re: your travel plans from GB to Madison - It's not the best idea to use HWY 26 at night, on a party night especially. There is a much safer alternative with no loss of time.

When traveling in less than perfect conditions from Madison to points northeast (or the reverse), take HWY 151 all the way to Fond du Lac and then HWY 41 north. You go 7 extra miles (136 miles vs. 143), but on a much safer road with two lanes, such that you can pass at will. Also, you can gain the time by more safely speeding, if you must.

Unknown said...

Really informative article. It’s an interesting read as well. Green Bay has certainly a lot to offer. Its National Railroad Museum is certainly one of a kind. Fortunately, we didn’t have difficulty looking for Green Bay hotel rooms because the city has a lot to offer when it comes to accommodations. We definitely enjoyed our time there.