April 9, 2007

Places where we ate, in and around Austin.

There was always another café:

Café Mundí

That's Café Mundí.

Waiting for food at The Salt Lick:

The Salt Lick

(The answer to Question 2.)

At Vespaio, we split two pasta dishes...

Vespaio

And gobbled up calamari:

Vespaio

By far our favorite restaurant was Uchi, but unfortunately, it was way too dark to take good pictures. We went there on Wednesday and got the fabulous omakase that included all sorts of things, including rabbit salad. Then, we kept talking about it so much that we went back on Friday. We asked for some different, more sushi oriented omakase -- and we got it. Everthing was sublime, especially the sea urchin.

Ah, what will I do without all these restaurants, my delightful dinner companion, and the inclination to go out every night? Actually, I know. I made a giant pot of my favorite Bolognese sauce, and I'll eat pasta every night until it's gone. I'll be perfectly happy, just as happy in Madison going to class and talking about the Supreme Court as I'd be traipsing around Austin on Spring break.

18 comments:

Randy said...

Good photo of you, Ann.

Hoosier Daddy said...

You are not making my efforts getting into summer shape easy with all these food pics.

Ann Althouse said...

Daddy: Do what I do: eat once a day. You can eat what you want, but only do it once a day.

Telecomedian said...

Hmmm...The Salt Lick. I went there two years ago, and I think I'm still full.

Shame you didn't get a chance to check out the gospel brunch at Stubb's.

Triangle Man said...

Are you willing to share your recipe for your Bolognese sauce?

Ann Althouse said...

The recipe is in this book. I use red wine instead of white, though.

Maxine Weiss said...

Where's my reward? I'm psychic. I predicted you'd go to the Salt Lick.

Peace, Maxine

Maxine Weiss said...

Althouse is lying. Coffee counts as a meal. Althouse can't get through a day without caffeine to wake up, and alcohol to wind down.....or so it seems from her photos.

Just making observations.

It's easy to eat one meal a day when you are using caffeine--a virtual diet pill--A DRUG !!!... to get you through.

Caffeine is poison. So is alcohol.

Peace, Maxine

Maxine Weiss said...

Boys love their mothers. Girls are devoted, but girls don't love their Mothers like Boys do.

Love and devotion are not the same thing.

Trust me, no matter how devoted they might seem Girls don't love their Mothers as much as Boys do.

Peace, Maxine

Hoosier Daddy said...

Coffee counts as a meal.

Funny, it's always on the beverage list in any menu I look at.

Althouse can't get through a day without caffeine to wake up, and alcohol to wind down

Neither can I and I say thank God for them both.

Caffeine is poison. So is alcohol.

Depending on which peer reviewed double blind study one reads this month.

SGT Ted said...

mmm I love spicey Italian seafood dishes.

Is that Fetuccinni Pescara?

Caffeine is poison. So is alcohol. -Maxine

I consider those two of the four food groups myself.

Maxine Weiss said...

Mother & Child Reunion, by Paul Simon.

I'm going to select various photos of this trip of Mama Althouse and Son, and do a slide show set to that song.

I'm more sentimental than Althouse.

Peace, Maxine

TMink said...

In that photo with the squid I really see the you in your son. That was touching and made me smile.

I appreciate your photography Ann. Thanks for posting it.

Really good uni is a revelation.

Trey

Bissage said...

Is there anything worse than a pedantic link that tells everyone what they knew already?

X said...

Speaking of pedantic, it's actually 'omakase' instead of 'omikase.' Not that anyone here has said this, but it's actually 'Fuji-san' instead of 'Fujiyama'.

Also, 'Welsh Rabbit' doesn't actually have any rabbit in it. It's made with cheese.

Hopefully this will clear things a little.

Scott said...

Too bad you missed Las Manitas on Congress St.

divine angst said...

I'm glad you made it to Uchi. It is one of the most innovative restaurants I've eaten in--and it manages to be innovative WELL.

Maxine Weiss said...

How can you visit Texas without seeing these legendary spots?:

1. Port Aransas
2. Mansion On Turtle Creek
3. Grapevine, and Grapevine Mall
4. Whole Foods Headquarters
5. ???