May 20, 2007

"The phrase Memory Almost Full came into mind, then I realised I'd seen it on a phone - you know, you must delete something."

The Guardian has a nice piece on Paul McCartney, who is about to release a record called "Memory Almost Full," with songs covering his life story and his anticipation of death:
At times, he appears to argue with himself about how autobiographical the songs are. Take Mr Bellamy, which is about a man in a desperate situation - refusing to come down from the roof of his house because he's happier up there with "nobody here to spoil the view, interfere with my plans ... I like it up here without you" - newspapers have suggested this is about his state of mind. But that's too easy, he says - for starters, he began writing this album when he and Mills were happily married, and anyway, this is a character-led vignette, a Beatles-esque short story.
Hmm... well, I think writers start writing things about a marriage going bad before it actually does, either because somewhere in their head they realize where things will go or because in the process of writing they are analyzing a situation and become persuaded that what looks good on the surface is not actually good. But quite apart from that, outsiders don't know whether people who now appear happily married are still or ever were happily married. Happily married is the sort of thing you pretend to be. Happy is the sort of thing you pretend to be. Now, when people look unhappy, you can believe it -- though not always. These songwriter types -- and other sorts of poets and artists -- have reason to play the forlorn, angsty role. But, surely, some of them are sincere.

Anyway, this Mr. Bellamy character sounds like the same guy as "The Fool on the Hill," which was a Paul song.
"The common denominator is me. Even if I try and write, 'Desmond and Molly had a barrow in the market place', inevitably I come through the song."
Yes, as a lightweight nitwit, Paul detractors would say. No, that's not me saying that. I'm imagining other people. I'd give a lot of credit to Paul for choosing "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" as his example, because he must know that it was conspicuously voted the Worst Song Ever. Personally, I think it's a cool song. For one thing, they repeatedly sing the word "bra" completely out of context just for fun (like "tit" in "Girl"). For another, the sex roles get reversed in the end. ("Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face.") But the main thing I like about it is that it is where it is in a sequence of songs on a great album that can't be thought of without all of its parts exactly how and where they are. (A feeling people won't have anymore in the future because of digitized music, and maybe you've already lost it.)

Speaking of The White Album:
Nowadays, when he tours, he feels at ease with his audience. "It's funny, a couple of American tours ago, I was singing Blackbird and I started to chat to the audience much more. I'm very confident like that now. I remembered stuff that I'd forgotten for 30 years in explaining it. I get a therapy session with the audience, and I go, 'Hold on, I remember what that came from, it was a Bach thing that George and I used to play'."

He gets up to fetch a guitar from beside the Wurlitzer and starts playing the Bach. "Is this in tune? Yes. So that's the Bach. See, that's the bastardisation of it, and then this is how it evolves into Blackbird." He plays beautifully to demonstrate the transition.
They really should identify the Bach piece! Hey, I got the answer in 2 seconds from Wikipedia:
McCartney revealed on PBS's Great Performances (Paul McCartney: Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road), aired in 2006, that the guitar accompaniment for Blackbird was inspired by Bach's Bouree, a well known classical guitar piece. As kids, he and George Harrison tried to learn Bouree as a "show off" piece. Bouree is distinguished by melody and bass notes played simultaneously on the upper and lower strings. McCartney adapted a segment of Bouree as the opening of "Blackbird," and carried the musical idea throughout the song.
Back to the Guardian:
[T]here are things he doesn't want to revisit. His divorce from Mills has not only been horribly public and extended, it has also involved a series of leaked allegations about McCartney's behaviour. The model family man has been portrayed by Mills as selfish, self-obsessed and violent - she has alleged that he refused to allow her to use a bedpan to save her crawling to the lavatory on her one leg, that he discouraged her from breastfeeding their daughter, Beatrice, because he wanted her breasts to himself, that he was a drunken pot addict who had hit her in an alcoholic rage.
Think about how everything you're doing now in your marriage could be restated in divorce allegations. Aren't you a monster?
You know what people want to do to you at the moment, I say. No, he replies. And I reach over and give him a big hug. McCartney smiles. "People actually do that. I get a lorra that off people. I get people I don't even know saying, 'Look, mate'," and he gives himself a sympathetic pat on the arm. "A lot of people come up to you and offer their support. A lot of people have been through similar circumstances and feel they have to communicate it to you."
"A lorra that"... if it means "a lot of," why did they write "a lot of" all those other times? The English!
"[T]here is a tunnel and there is a light and I will get there, and meantime I really enjoy my work and my family. I see people worse off than me, so I can put it in perspective. There's a thing we always used to quote in the 60s when things were rough: 'I walked down a street and I cried because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet.' " It was an Indian parable, and that is one of the lines I live by."
See, I told you! People used to always say that in the 60s! It's just a way to say "It could be worse," but "It could be worse" lacks the gruesome imagery.

21 comments:

Sixty Bricks said...

"I cried because I had no shoes, 'till I met a man who had no feet. So I said, 'You got any shoes you're not using'?"
Steven Wright

Great post. I also really enjoyed all the comments from the Summer of Love post. I live in San Francisco now and there is a sidewalk that has a peace sign barely visible in the cement with June 1967 also barely legible under the sign. I should take a picture of that.

Ron said...

I could see Macca using the Steven Wright line; "Toss us those boats then, eh, mate?"

ricpic said...

There's no cause and effect relationship in art. The songwriter can write a happy song the day he commits suicide, or a sad song the day his career takes off. Plus, he can and often does explore worlds and personas distant from his own. And yet people, sophisticates in other areas, cling to the artist = the work equation. It's a mystery: what comes out of the artist. As much to himself as to his audience.

Charlie Eklund said...

Anyone who voted for "Ob-la-di" as the Worst Song Ever must never have heard "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" which, while not the Worst Song Ever, is certainly the Worst Beatles Song.

Palladian said...

To say "Bach's Bourée" isn't a precise-enough answer, as Bach wrote a number of Bourées as part of various suites. The bourée is a French Baroque dance, and the form was used by numerous composers, most notably Bach and Handel. Many of their pieces, especially the suites such as Bach's English Suites or French Suites, are written as dance forms such as the gavotte, the allemande, the gigue, the sarabande, &c.

The bourée that I think McCartney is referring to as the basis of "Blackbird" is from Bach's e-minor Lute Suite (BWV 996). That particular piece of music was also used more directly and more famously perhaps by my favorite band from when I was a teenager, Jethro Tull.

katiebakes said...

Ob-la-di ... makes me think of Corky.

Ron said...

I'd say "You know my name (look up the number)" is worse than "Maxwell's."

Ann Althouse said...

I don't think novelty songs should be judged by the same standard. I rather like "You Know My Name."

The worst song is obviously "Don't Pass Me By."

Charlie Eklund said...

I agree with Ann about "You Know My Name"...however.

"Don't Pass Me By"? I have to ask...how is a Ringo song not a novelty song by default?

Ann Althouse said...

Charlie: No, quite the opposite. It's a banal nothing song. That's what's really bad. Ob-la-di, Maxwell, and You Know My Name are all novelty songs and they just aren't bad the way people who think they are think they are.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I cried because I had no Linda. Then I married a Heather who had one leg.

Unknown said...

Of course, the Memory Almost Full error message is usually wrong itself. I wonder what that means...

Another Steve Wright maxim for Paul: "You can't have everything, where would you put it?"

I hope he finds a nice woman this time round!

XWL said...

I hope he finds a nice woman this time round!

Britney's single . . .


Has McCartney written anything in the past 30 years anyone remembers fondly?

Seems like he's just out there to make money that Heather can't touch, but that's just my cynical non-Summer of Love take.

Revenant said...

Has McCartney written anything in the past 30 years anyone remembers fondly?

It shames me to say it, but I kind of like "Ebony and Ivory".

Having thus destroyed whatever musical credibility I might have had, I must ask -- what's wrong with "Don't Pass Me By"? Its a fun song. There are FAR worse songs on that album, too -- "Julia" and "Revolution 9", for example.

Palladian said...

I've got four words that should blow any sympathetic thoughts of Paul away:

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

Ann Althouse said...

I thought "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" were really cool.

Joan said...

Awesome post & comments.

I was only 4 during the Summer of Love, but as the youngest of 7 kids, I was surrounded by the music, art, and language of the day (much to my mother's dismay, particularly when older siblings would leave their "paraphernalia" hanging around.) Consequently, I grew up knowing and loving the Beatles, and have soft spots for them all, still.

I'm with Ann in thinking that there's a difference between novelty/story songs and just plain old bad songs. My vote for worst Beatles' song has to be "Why don't we do it in the road?" simply because it's so ugly. Come to think of it, though, "Julia" is pretty wretched. As a kid I got a kick out of "Uncle Albert," but even then I realized it wasn't because it was a good song. It never would've hit the airwaves if anyone other than Paul had recorded it.

Palladian: I love you. (In that admiring, purely platonic way that perfect blog comments can evoke.) Did you ever hear the companion piece (dubbed "Soiree") on the live album, "A Little Light Music"?

John Stodder said...

Has McCartney written anything in the past 30 years anyone remembers fondly?

His last three albums had their moments, especially "Chaos and Creation..." "Jenny Wren" is a beautiful song. "Promise to You Girl" is good too. It's sad to say, but the blues have been good to Paul's craft.

The thing about Macca's 70s stuff is not to focus on the words -- at all. He was too stoned and too happy to dig into himself to say anything, but great music pours out of him like water from a spring. "Silly Love Songs" has a truly great bass line. And, yeah, "Admiral Halsey" is chock full of tasty musical ideas. The list of fantastic songs with dumb lyrics authored by Paul is a long one.

blake said...

That Bach Boureé was used to best effect (IMO) by Tenacious D:

It doesn't matter if it is good
It only matters if it rocks
The main thing that we do
Is to rock your socks off
There's no such thing as a rock prodigy
'cause rock and roll is bogus
(Right, KG? Right!)
The only thing that really matters
Is the classical sauce.

"And thats why me and KG are classically trained to rock your f*ckin' socks off, give em a taste KG"

(KG plays the Boureé while JB sings along)

That is Bach and it rocks
It's a rock block of Bach
That we learned in a school
Called the school of hard knocks

(Ron...you bear a passing resemblance to KG in that thumbnail....)

blake said...

By the way, I played a different Bach Boureé (with apologies for doing such a clichéd piece) auditioning to get into school.

I think it helped that I didn't do the E minor one (which isn't really that difficult, either) to get in.

Methadras said...

Why are they getting divorced? I never understood the underlying reasons. Can someone explain it to me? I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity.