June 7, 2008

I was deeply ensconced in Wisconsin architecture today.

I spent much of the day here:

The Maurice Greenberg House

At the Maurice Greenberg House — which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I put in 2 hours as a docent, posted in the living room, where I pointed out the view and identified the items of furniture that were designed by Wright.

I have more pictures, but I'm I little too tired to do a good job of getting them web-ready. Why should I be tired so early? It's not just from 2 hours of docent work. I also drove many miles around south central Wisconsin, including some grueling time through pouring rain, the kind of rain that renders the windshield wipers useless. And there was another part of the drive where there were thick streaks of lightning and wind so rough I had to grip the wheel to keep from being swerved around. Then I turned the radio on and heard about the tornadoes spotted in this storm. Find sturdy shelter, the warning said. Where? I'm in my car, driving through farmland. I just keep going, trusting in luck and airbags.

11 comments:

Meade said...

Glad to hear you made it through the tornadic weather and stressful driving.

Interesting architecture. Embarrassing landscape design.

Chip Ahoy said...

Oi. I bet you were a pretty decent docent.

ricpic said...

Those bricks don't do a thing for me.

rhhardin said...

Keep the upwind wing low and hold downwind rudder.

Ann Althouse said...

The original design called for stone. It was downgraded to brick to save money. I have pics from another house with stone.

J. Cricket said...

Two whole hours of volunteer work! Does that cover you for one or two years?

rhhardin said...

Carrying a cargo of roses.

Ann Althouse said...

I'm not seeking credit for doing volunteer work. I enjoyed the opportunity to hang out in a Frank Lloyd Wright living room and to talk to a lot of people who love architecture. I also got fee admission to a lot of sites I'd have paid to see.

Palladian said...

Arcadian is just that old, tiresome troll "AJD", remember him? Must have made parole or something.

Trooper York said...

Wow what a great building. It looks just like the bathrooms at the pool at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Sweet.

Padre Steve said...

Sorry, but I am not a fan of FLW. But, if you are.... enjoy!