December 31, 2010

"Fashion forward: 10 things to get excited about in 2011."

From the L.A. Times "image staff":
1) Skirts falling. At last, some clothes for women who don't look to the Kardashians for style tips. The tyranny of the mini is over and skirts are falling. Midi, maxi and knee-length skirts were all over the runways for spring at Jil Sander, Michael Kors, Yves Saint Laurent and more. But they're going mass, too....
I led this trend beginning in '09. Took a break from it in fall '10, but after buying these boots yesterday, I've been contemplating regressing to my long skirts. (Bonus Althouse skirt-length material here. (Scroll to "Note about me."))

Oh, well, let's read on. Blah blah blah... oh!
6) The new political guard. If there is one person I'm eager to observe dressing for today's political stage, it's California Governor-elect Jerry Brown. In his 1970s heyday, he was a rake in double-breasted suits with sharp lapels. But now, almost nothing is known about what he wears.

Compared with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who favors suits by Armani, Brioni, Prada and Gucci, has been known to carry a Prada weekend bag and refers to himself as a "shoe queen," Brown is practically anti-fashion--which could almost be more interesting. 
Shoe queen, eh? Where are the pictures to prove this? All they've got is a pic of his head, which is bald on top and pensive in front, with an ear on at least one side. I'm skeptical!

ADDED: Oops. I misread. It's Queen Arnold. There's nothing at all about what Jerry Brown wears. Here's some fashion advice for Brown: wear... brown! Oh, sorry. I thought I was Naomi Wolf for a moment there. Advising Gore.

17 comments:

rhhardin said...

Shorts and crocs in '11.

Every 30 years I'm in fashion again.

Though the crocs would be new.

They have no-holes crocs for winter now.

Unknown said...

God help CA with the "new political guard". The same incompetents who put them on the road to insolvency 30 years ago.

I could get behind "Skirts falling" (literally), except that's a sign of bad economic times.

PS As to (Bonus Althouse skirt-length material here. (Scroll to "Note about me.")) - the school was probably worried about you putting it on display and giving it away (or maybe having it taken).

They had no idea of the iron will they had provoked. They would have done better trying to appeal to the hippie love chick lurking within.

campy said...

Skirts falling? Sounds great!

... oh, now I see what they mean. Never mind.

Palladian said...

I wear black on the outside 'cause black is how I feel on the inside.

ricpic said...

Since skirts falling is a leading indicator of even harder times ahead it's a prescient prediction.

Robt C said...

Um, I think Ahnold is the one who refers to himself as the "shoe queen." You might re-read that sentence.

Happy New Year, everyone!

KCFleming said...

I'm for wearing black, too.
Mourning the death of geriatric medicine, which I trained for and now must back out of.

KCFleming said...

Easy come, easy go.

ricpic said...

What do we need geriatric medicine anymore? Just take the red pill and die already, bitter clinger.

Titus said...

I feel bad for Meg.

She spent all that money but I guess that is just a drop in the bucket for her.

She has really bad hair.

jamboree said...

Who the fuck cares what Jerry Brown will wear?

That asshole tried to push my parents out of their home in the 1970s during the extreme inflation of real estate prices when reassessments were growing much faster than salaries before Prop 13 won and saved the fucking family (I was a child, but remember the family terror very well) and now he's going to be trying his best to put my widowed mother out of that same home and onto the street by getting rid of it.

What that evil POS wears is the last thing on my mind. I get sick thinking about him.

Alex said...

I swear Althouse creates these fashion threads to get Titus involved.

Ken said...

My State has elected the first zombie governor. I lived through eight years of unlimited corruption under his father and eight more years of unlimited corruption under Jerry before. We now can look to four more years of the same. Brown could wear anything from a speedo to silk robes and he'd still be Jerry Brown, zombie governor and enabler of the public employee unions stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

What Jamboree said times 10

jungatheart said...

More hooker boots to the ballet.

Anonymous said...

Ricpic is right. My mother gave me my first lesson in economics when she said that hemlines fall during a recession. Thanks Mom!

FIFA-Viruts said...

Yes. This information is useful for me. It useful ... Wish you a nice day :D
Accountancy Recruitmentfulvic ionic minerals