December 30, 2010

"That's pretty cool. I love the open buckles and how they pick up the silver of the tin foil/duct tape..."

Comments on a Sartorialist photo from the scene of the NYC blizzard:
Awesome! I love the boots, but it's the duct tape in classic silver that made me take notice. It just goes to show that even a homeless person or city worker or whoever this person is can accessorize with wit and style, given what's available to them....

Whoever this person is, there's always a slight line between what's ridiculous and what's considered "fashionable"...nowadays it seems that everything can work and be "cool"! ...

I battled with this photo. It affects the emotions in that it could be of a homeless or an eccentric person. Maybe you could have indicated that the guy is a construction worker. It comes close to the bone....



I was outside today photographing snow in Central Park, and let me tell you – this is a smart idea to tape your pants to your shoes! Of course, it is also sad because this picture is most likely of a homeless person, and this isn't a good time for them. Either way, the silver cheers up the idea, if only a little bit...

Why would people be offended with this being a homeless person? Scott's blog isn't just about girls in bandage dresses and high-heels. He takes photos of people coming from ALL aspects of life. Homeless or a billionaire, both are worthy of a photograph. Good golly, you picky, whiney people.

I hate snow falling in my boot tops and have thought of doing this several times. Also, interesting how many people who posted earlier equate functionality with homelessness.

uhh...sorry this isn't creative or stylish at all. If it was deliberate, maybe it'd be cool, but it's just a homeless guy keeping warm. Oh how avant-garde! Not really....

20-inches of snow, people. Add to that the mountains on curbs where you could easily sink in to your mid-thigh. Duct tape dude has the right idea.
Ha. Angst-ing over duct tape in New York City. Meanwhile, in Alaska....

25 comments:

Known Unknown said...

Yeah, homeless people are good at accessorizing.

Dear lord.

jr565 said...

Was that the picture of the bum who asked me for a buck to buy a coffee on the way to work? Yep, real fashion plate that guy.

Synova said...

Homeless? I doubt it.

Three extra pairs of socks in rubber boots and tape to keep the snow going down them and getting your socks all wet while you're *working*?

Yes.

Obviously.

coketown said...

Disgusting. Another model starving himself to look good for the camera.

Freeman Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freeman Hunt said...

At a recent 5k, I duct taped my Ziploc clad MP3 player to my sleeve.

Sartorialist, here I come!

Jennifer said...

"Duct tape in classic silver..." Hahahaha. Fantastic.

I'm Full of Soup said...

I did not yet read the article but it sounds like they are describing how Johnny Depp was dressed on Letterman the other night.

Holmes said...

It's part of the new "Derelict" campaign."...a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique."

Phil 314 said...

Yes, the homeless display an eclectic style that is necessary to complete the haute couture that we call "New York"

Reminiscent of this movie

MayBee said...

I just hate how hard it is to get to the main Sartorialist page from the comments page.

Talk about bad design!

dbp said...

When there is deep snow I form a seal between my pants and boot by lacing the laces over the bottom part of my pants.

For cross country skiing there are special gaiters that attach at the boot and just below the knee and zip in the back.

Anonymous said...

That link brought to mind an old Bloom County cartoon in which Milo et al. were watching television and enjoying what they thought was a fictional, violent show. Then someone asked "Wait, is this the news?" As the characters debated whether it was real or fictional, Opus finally blurts out "Look, am I supposed to be enjoying this or not?"

AllenS said...

I've done a lot of cement work. I usually wear rubber chore boots that go to the top of the calf. I tuck my pants in the boots and always duct tape the top so no cement can get in. Cement in the boots, makes for a very, very long day.

Anonymous said...

I found what appears to be a reproduction of the dialog, which reveals that it wasn't Milo and Opus:

Bloom County, Dec. 7, 1983. Yaz Pistachio is watching TV with the rabbit and the groundhog.

-----
Rabbit: Hey, this looks good... a war movie!

Yaz: Uh, actually I think it's an ABC documentary on Lebanon. I think.
-----
Rabbit: Oh phoo. Looks like an old "Rat Patrol" episode.

Yaz: No... no, it's just the 6 o'clock news. I think. Those look like real grenade launchers.
-----
TV: BLAM! BLAM!

Rabbit: YEAH! BLAST THAT SUCKER! OO! THIS IS GREAT STUFF!!
-----
Rabbit: Well. I mean if it IS fake.

Groundhog: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHETHER I SHOULD BE ENJOYING THIS OR NOT...

Unknown said...

First thing I thought was, "Fireman", when I saw that. Trying to keep out the wet in 20 degree weather and maybe save a couple of lives.

And some little fashionista, who would die before soiling his little patties, has wax snarky about it.

Creep.

Christy said...

Function over fashion. When necessary.

Do you feel as dorky wearing snow gaiters over boots as I do when skiing in heavy snowfall? But not nearly as dorky as silver tape (not duct tape) would be.

And I cannot tell you how chic I felt in bright yellow anti-contamination suits with boots and gloves taped closed. Is it all a matter of color?

Black and Silver is sophisticated. Green and Silver is not?

tim maguire said...

Purely functional, how shallow must one be to look at this and see fashion? And comment on it as though the wearer had fashion intentions? ("whoever this person is can accessorize with wit and style")

I doubt the person is homeless--you cannot take the pants and/or boots off without destroying the creation and the homeless generally don't have the luxury of wasting material on a one-off.

AST said...

I guess condescension is how some people practice charity. "I can't spare any change, but I'll put your photo on my blog. Happy New year!"

MadisonMan said...

It's part of the new "Derelict" campaign.

Both my kids put that movie in their top 10.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Remember the big kerfuffle about Palin and Duct Tape?

". Wasilla has the distinction of being proclaimed the “Duck Tape Capital of the World” selling miles and miles of the sticky multi-purpose tape annually. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will be on hand to cut the store’s ceremonial ribbon, made of duct tape, of course."

I guess duct tape is uber cool when used by some one in New York and tres passe when associated with Palin or Alaska.

Go figure.

The Crack Emcee said...

In my youth, my friends and I were duct tape demons - we kept it with us for everything. Of course, we were punks so it just came naturally, like coloring your hair or shaving your eyebrows. We never thought about fashion or looking sexy:

It just turned out that way.

Sydney said...

I will never understand fashion.

Synova said...

For a while last fall the kids at the middle school my youngest attends all had to have colored duct tape on their clothes.

Why? I don't know.

Probably because it was inexplicable.

Methadras said...

Satorialist commenters are douche bags.