May 13, 2011

RELOCATED FROM ALTHOUSE2: Save Ann Althouse's Blog.

The Facebook page.

COMMENTS (Relocated):

The Grand Inquisitor said...
WE ARE THE UMPIRES

OUR DECISIONS ARE FINAL

WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON, THOUGH
DO NOT BELIE THE PROCESS WITH FACTS

MAY 13, 2011 4:39:00 PM CDT 
 bw said...
When you get it back. Use

Settings

then
Basic

Export.

Export your blog into the Blogger Atom export format.

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=97416

MAY 13, 2011 4:41:00 PM CDT 
 Sixty Grit said...
If Obama wants you gone, you will be eliminated.

Wait, I meant "BLOGGER IS AWESOME!!!"

MAY 13, 2011 4:42:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
Hey, my handle actually works well with that!

But anyway, I had no idea Blogger was that stupid. How much investigation is required to determine if a blog is spam or not?

Just imagine you were not Ann Althouse, and couldn't cite the New York Times or millions of readers, and instead had to rely on blogger's ability to handle a help request.

Perhaps the topic really should be a discussion of alternatives to blogger.

MAY 13, 2011 4:43:00 PM CDT 
 chickelit said...
Perhaps the topic really should be a discussion of alternatives to blogger.

Exactly. You'd think the Evil Blogger would bend over backwards to keep her--just so they could keep a better eye on her.

MAY 13, 2011 4:45:00 PM CDT 
 Roger J. said...
Google is your overlord--you must submit--resistance is futile

Surely the are grounds for a lawsuit here, you being a lawyer and all of that.

MAY 13, 2011 4:49:00 PM CDT 
 Roger J. said...
Your experience with blogger sounds very much like mine with the VA--you dont suppose.....

MAY 13, 2011 4:50:00 PM CDT 
 Ann Althouse said...
@bw Thanks. I have used that to save fairly recently that way. Wish I'd gotten it all though.

I do now realize that I can't trust Blogger to protect me. I don't trust anyone else though. I thought Blogger -- Google -- was the must trustworthy though. I haven't been staying on Blogger out of cheapness or anything like that. I really thought the its size was a kind of protection and I also want the blog to stay up if something happens to me and things aren't set up to keep paying.

MAY 13, 2011 4:51:00 PM CDT 
 johnroberthenry said...
Try Squarespace

Reading that Kafkaesque exchange with Google support makes me worry about using ANY Google services.

It is also a good general argument for not using ANY cloud based services.

It sounds like the problem was your Amazon Affiliate marketing. I had no problem with it but Google sounds like they do.

Fine, it is their service they can set any rules.

The way they enforce those rules, assuming this to be the case, is batshit crazy.

Why can't they just send you a note saying Hey, we see you have an Amazon Affiliates link. You can't do that, take it off.

Then if you don't, they would have the right to do this.

But not like this.

I've never been a fan of Blogger anyway. The software behind it just seems flakey.



John Henry

MAY 13, 2011 4:52:00 PM CDT 
 bw said...
So you should import from that file to this blog. That would restore most of your blog

MAY 13, 2011 4:55:00 PM CDT 
 Hal Duston said...
I've been a reader here (on the main blog) for some years now, and how does "Large blogs with multiple, unfocused / unrelated subjects." NOT describe it? :p

MAY 13, 2011 4:55:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
"
Reading that Kafkaesque exchange with Google support makes me worry about using ANY Google services.

It is also a good general argument for not using ANY cloud based services. "

I agree that it is disturbing.

They read the blog and actually decided it was spam. That's what they appear to be saying.

But it's just not spam. And their enforcement appears to be quite shady, and their discussion of the rules appears to be draconian and unclear.

I get Althouse's argument, though. Google is likely to be around for a long time, and their blogs should stay up reliably. It's hard to be sure you have an arrangement like that if you set up an autopay to godaddy (or whatever).

I am frankly quite surprised by this attitude of Google's. And you know, discussing a product and linking the Amazon page is not really the same thing as spam. This is a blog with more content than any other blog on blogger that I'm aware of.

MAY 13, 2011 4:58:00 PM CDT 
 Palladian said...
Althouse, though I've been a big critic of Blogger post-Google acquisition, I never thought they'd do something as stupid as this. Get your content back and get it off this crappy, arbitrary system. Your blog is too valuable to trust to the whims of clueless petty little autocrats.

MAY 13, 2011 4:58:00 PM CDT 
 bw said...
there are some online guidelines for importing blogger.com to wordpress.

http://ourtimes.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/import-blogger-into-wordpress/

http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2007/02/06/new-blogger-importer/

I recommend import it here and then work on more permanent solutions

MAY 13, 2011 5:00:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
"So you should import from that file to this blog. That would restore most of your blog"

I wonder if that's the case, as the help forum suggests they might delete this blog too.

Althouse should be free to blog about whatever she wants, instead of walking on eggshells, worrying about if she's breaking some new version of the rules (or some boob's random interpretation of what spam is).

Her best recourse is to host her own blog and come up with a long term plan to keep it online.

MAY 13, 2011 5:00:00 PM CDT 
 Bob Ellison said...
The "nitecruzr" person comes across as a relatively new employee who has a well-bounded sphere of power and interest and extremely little interest in sending your complaing upstairs where it should go.

This is Blogger saying "we can't handle you". You really must drop Blogger immediately.

MAY 13, 2011 5:02:00 PM CDT 
 Palladian said...
As I wrote in another thread, that petty forum mod that is primarily responsible for the sourness of this incident doesn't appear to be a Google/Blogger employee. If not, G/B better shut him/her up and make this problem go away before it gets them any more bad press than they've already gotten.

MAY 13, 2011 5:02:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
"I recommend import it here and then work on more permanent solutions"

Not a bad idea.

I would suggest she actually square away the new home and then import it here for a very quick migration, and then delete both blogs (except for a forwarding address post).

MAY 13, 2011 5:03:00 PM CDT 
 LarsPorsena said...
First Crack, now Althouse.

MAY 13, 2011 5:04:00 PM CDT 
 Roger J. said...
OK Althouse--I havent forgiven you your vote for Obama--that said you are getting screwed royally.

Hang in there, and do the right thing: sue the bastards

MAY 13, 2011 5:05:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
btw,

I also want to note that I do think this is a valuable blog. Importance is a relative thing, but as far as things on the internet go, of course it's important.

It's a shame blogger treats one of their most important blogs like this. I would be really upset if I worked for years on building a blog, trusting them, and then got that snotty treatment by the 'umpire' who cannot be appealed.

MAY 13, 2011 5:06:00 PM CDT 
 Original Mike said...
"It is also a good general argument for not using ANY cloud based services."

People who use the cloud will deserve what they get (and that would be screwed. It's inevitable).

MAY 13, 2011 5:09:00 PM CDT 
 Jack is Back said...
And everyone thought it was Murdoch who was trying to rule the world. I think you've Bin had.

MAY 13, 2011 5:17:00 PM CDT 
 Roger J. said...
This is really a very interesting issue--capricious and arbitrary is the phrase that comes to mind--but as some have noted the meadhouse coverage of the wisconsin kerfuffle may be relevant for those inclined to conspiracy theories

not a first ammendment case as google is a private entity and no government,at least overtyly, is involved-- but might make a fascinating legal case.

your ship has come in professor--it is a sad day when I will actually miss ritmo, jeremy, j and other other contrarians on your blog-

well maybe not so much but still...

MAY 13, 2011 5:22:00 PM CDT 
 brian said...
wow, my blog also got deleted. nextbigfuture.com which is also based on blogger.com

Good thing I just took a backup file. Now I have to also go through the same process of fighting for recovery with all the hassles.

7500+ posts and about 50% of your traffic

MAY 13, 2011 5:27:00 PM CDT 
 LawGirl said...
So allowing commenters to phrase things in their own unique ways makes a blog a "cesspool"? I can't imagine anything more boring than a blog that censored comments.

MAY 13, 2011 5:37:00 PM CDT 
 bw said...
Turns out my problem just required using the verification system

the link of
I can't find my blog on the Web, where is it?'

then used verification - "they detected unusual activity"

I verified and my site got put back.

A lot of weird stuff going on over there. Making their whole outage thing even worse.

MAY 13, 2011 5:41:00 PM CDT 
 Roger J. said...
In my five years of commentary of the professor's blog she has deleted one of my posts which, I confess, was intentionally inflamatory--the professor walks the walk of free speech even, perhaps to her running afoul of the overlords of google.

Her's is a blog that is one of the most accepting of any blog around--my god, she even lets cederford post his progressive jews hypotheses

It will be a sad day if this travesty is allowed to stand.

MAY 13, 2011 5:46:00 PM CDT 
 edutcher said...
Roger, she even lets people like J run on.

She is tolerance personified and, when she goes to her reward, I have a feeling she'll get to talk conlaw with guys named Madison and Jefferson.

PS Having looked at the Facebook page, I'm glad I'm here.

MAY 13, 2011 5:55:00 PM CDT 
 shiloh said...
If Obama wants you gone, you will be eliminated.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Roger, she even lets people like J run on.

Also, my obsessed AA pets:

edutcher
Fen
TGI
Alex
shoutingthomas
hombre
Chef Mojo
PaulV

et al

MAY 13, 2011 6:16:00 PM CDT 
 edutcher said...
We bitch slap him and he calls us pets...

It's called Stockholm Syndrome and he really needs help.

MAY 13, 2011 6:30:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
I think I've mentioned Shiloh in fewer than five threads, and that's enough to prove to her that I'm victimizing her.

LOL. What a kook.

MAY 13, 2011 6:41:00 PM CDT 
 shiloh said...
Let the record show my #1 and #2 obsessed groupies, edutcher/TGI, replied.

:-P

MAY 13, 2011 7:08:00 PM CDT 
 The Grand Inquisitor said...
"Let the record show my #1 and #2 obsessed groupies, edutcher/TGI, replied.

:-P"

Yes, every time I've criticized something you've said, you've acted like I just murdered your whole family.

I bet you can't link more than five threads where I even noticed you exist, though.

You have a mental problem and think your silly comments are much more important than they are. Yeah, I took you to task repeatedly in a single thread, explaining carefully what's wrong with your claims, showing that you were not being honest or reasonable. In all but that one single thread, I haven't replied to you more than two times per thread.

I think you're your own #1 groupie, and you seem incredibly ugly and small about those who disagree with you. My guess is that people like you spammed blogger.com with reports that althouse.blogger.com is abuse. Your commentary today seems to be a) Althouse is evil and b) free speech is stupid anyway.

MAY 13, 2011 7:42:00 PM CDT 
 A.Worthing said...
I had a theory on this...

I could be wrong, ann, but okay there is a set of words i don't want to say because it can get a blog or an email flagged. It is a word that starts with V, and rhymes with Niagara.

So wasn't there a story about bin Laden using an herbal version of this [rhymes with Niagara]? And I think I remember that you blogged about it.

So maybe that set this whole stupid thing off?

Just a theory. Its idiotic anyway.

i mean if they were going to ban a blog for offensive content, well, crap, i ran one for everyone draws mohammed and oy was that offensive.

MAY 13, 2011 7:47:00 PM CDT 

No comments: